- In February, we completed our fundraiser for The Water Project to build a clean-water well in South Sudan. We raised over $7,000. (keep reading to see what happens next)
- In June, my daughter Jayden and I sold Pink Lemonade for Peace on the lawn of the Equality House. $200 in cash donations was raised for Planting Peace and their anti-bullying initiatives.
- In the days following the lemonade stand the press got a hold of the story and Jayden and her story went viral. Online donations exceeded $20,000 in just over a week.
- Jayden and I were nominated as MSNBC's "Footsoldiers of the Week".
- On June 25th, I was honored by my local Kansas City Royals as an honoree to sit in the prestigious Buck O'Neil Legacy Seat. A great supporter and friend nominated me for the humanitarian work I have done with FRESHCASSETTE.
- On July 4th, Jayden and I sold more pink lemonade at a local Independence Day parade in Lenexa, KS. We raised another $100 for Planting Peace.
- In early August, the water well we sponsored (referenced at the top) had completed construction. The well serves 500 people in Hai Tarawa, South Sudan.
- In mid-August, Jayden and I, and about 25 family and friends went back to the Equality House for another lemonade stand. We raised another $800 in cash donations. Plus, there was another boost of media exposure which has helped us raise over $26,000 in total for
- Finally, just a few days ago Jayden was named one of 29 girls who made a difference in 2013 by Toward the Stars. Jayden is also being nominated for the Charlotte Bacon Act of Kindness Award, which is from the community of Newtown, CT. We were recently on a local morning show in Kansas City discussing both of these accolades.
Of all of these successes, what is the most rewarding is seeing the kids faces in South Sudan who finally have clean water, knowing that kids across the country will benefit from the anti-bullying programs Planting Peace is implementing. And I have to admit that I have had some of my proudest moments as a dad this year, seeing my little girl become a socially aware young champion of peace!
Like I said when I started, none of this would be possible without super awesome supporters...so thank you! There is also a list of key people I would like to thank.
- Carly DelFavero - I am so glad you contacted me when you did. Your art is amazing, you are an incredibly generous person, and you helped me realize my dream of FRESHCASSETTE.
- Megan Rogers - Thank you for being a huge supporter, fabulous photographer, and an overall kind person.
- Ken Pease - The first time I saw the painting you did of Jayden, it brought tears to my eyes. It opened my eyes that her lemonade stand had turned into a movement.
- Aaron, Davis, and Amelia - you guys have been awesome to Jayden and I. I'm pretty sure you thought I was crazy before the lemonade stand happened, but I think we are all happy with the outcome of how its turned out. Keep up the great work.
- Everyone who helped with our lemonade stands...you guys are the best!!!
- And of course, everyone who has graciously donated their money to the causes we support.
Alright, that's about it. Please check back soon, as we have a BIG initiative and announcement to make for 2014!!!
Jon Sink - Founder
FRESHCASSETTE Creative Compassion